The X-Ray Astronomy 2009 Conference will be held in Bologna (Italy) from September 7th to September 11th, 2009. The conference will take place in the main lecture hall of the University of Bologna (Aula Absidale of Santa Lucia) in Via de' Chiari, 23. The seating capacity of the lecture hall limits the number of participants to about 300. Thus we invite interested people to register as soon as possible.
A special cocktail will be held at San Giovanni in Monte on the 7th of September from 18:30 to 21:30
The following is a map showing the main places of the conference (conference hall, welcome cocktail, social dinner). A more complete map with the locations of the selected hotels and relevant bus stops and routes is at the end of this page.
Wireless accessThe conference area will be covered by wireless internet connection. Username and password will be provided at the registration desk. By requirement of Italian law, any wireless user has to be identified, so please bring along your ID to get your username and password. A few computer terminals and internet sockets with internet access will also be available in the Furlanetto room (2nd floor) of the Conference Center.
Cultural ProgrammeA very interesting cultural programme dedicated to all accompanying person will be set up including:
- Tuesday 8th September 2009: 9:00-18:00 Guided Tour in Ravenna
- Wednesday 9th September 2009: 14:00-18:00 Guided Tour in Bologna
- Thursday 10th September 2009: 9:00-18:00 Guided Tour in Ferrara
N.B. The tours in Ravenna and Ferrara are 1 day long each.
Tourist information: about Ravenna and Ferrara. Wikipedia articles: Ravenna, Ferrara.
The conference dinner will take place on Wednesday, September 9th, at the prestigious Palazzo Re Enzo (description, pictures) located in Piazza Maggiore (see map). The ticket for accompanying guests is 50€.
How to arriveBologna has an international airport with frequent connections to many European destinations. It is the best option if you are flying from outside of Italy.
The Italian railways (Trenitalia) offer frequent connections to Roma, Firenze, Milano, Venezia and many other towns in northern and central Italy.
- From the airport: take the "BLQ" shuttle to city centre (the ticket costs 5 € and can be bought on-board). You can get down at the "Indipendenza-San Pietro" stop and then walk for about 15-20 min. Or you can get down at "Ugo Bassi" and transfer to bus number 13 bound to "San Ruffillo / Pavese" (the shuttle ticket is also valid for this bus, so you don't need a new one): get down at "Garganelli" and walk for 4 min. See map here.
- From the railway station: Take the bus with letter "C" and get down at "Cartoleria", then walk for 2 min. You may also take bus number 11 and get down at "Garganelli", then walk for 4 min. See maps of bus stops in the station and conference areas.
The conference language is English.
All foreign participants must have a valid passport except the European Union citizens, who need only an identification card. Invitation letters to apply for a visa will be sent by the Secretariat (firstname.lastname@example.org) upon request, and only after acceptance of registration. To know whether you need a visa, please check at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Web Site.
- Scientific secretariat:
Via Gobetti, 101
40129 - Bologna - Italy
- Manuela Spiga, email@example.com, phone +39.051.639.8688
- Organizing secretariat:
AllMeetings di Nextend.net srl
Via del Tappezziere, 4
40138 - Bologna - Italy
VAT #: 02268911209
- Marcella Tusa, firstname.lastname@example.org, Tel: +39-0516024331
- Maria Teresa Tibaldi, email@example.com
Detailed, clickable map with locations of the conference, selected hotels and relevant bus routes